Over the summer we collected some tadpoles from our nearby pond. We cared for them for weeks waiting for them to turn into frogs. The boys loved going out each day and checking on them. Then one day we found this little guy ("Froggy"). Finally our first frog! However, that very same morning our little frog and all is tadpole friends met their tragic demise.I had moved their habitat from under the tree to closer to the house so I could get a good picture of him but I didn't move it back right away. When I went back out a couple hours later the spot where I had moved them, which was shaded at the time, was now getting full sun and the water go too hot and basically boiled the poor things.
I was so mad at myself. We cared for those boogers for so long and the boys patiently waited for them to turn into frogs. I knew they would be devastated....if they knew. So I didn't tell them. I told them it was time to return them to the pond and while they were gone I disposed of the corpses and told them they were now living at the pond. And they were okay with that but, I still felt terrible.
Well the other night I went outside and saw this:
So I got to thinking......It was bedtime and Caden had actually just fallen asleep on the couch but, I couldn't let this opportunity pass. I woke him up and told him that "Froggy" was here and wanted to see him. I scooped him up and took him outside to see. He was less than thrilled at the time because it was cold and misting but, I explained to him that that was "his Froggy" and he came back to say thank you for taking care of him when he was a tadpole.
A complete fabrication? Yes. But he was elated that Froggy came back to thank him. And I hope it was a learning experience from him- illustrating that we should be grateful for the things other do for us, no matter how big or small, and to express that gratitude.


No comments:
Post a Comment