Asp, puss caterpillar, woolly worm. Have you ever heard of such things? I hadn't until just recently when a friend told me about them. They are the most poisonous caterpillar's in the US. These harmless looking caterpillars pack a serious sting. I have read accounts of adults going to the ER after encountering a puss caterpillar; the pain is that bad.
Because of Caden's love for bugs and his sensitive reaction to bug bites/stings I drilled into his little brain that we do not touch cute, little, fuzzy caterpillars. EVER.
So last week we were outside, Caden was on the side of the house hunting for worms and I was racking leaves in the front when he ran over to me and said "Mommy, come look what I found!". Guess what he found?
That's right, an asp. Thank God he didn't touch it!
That's right, an asp. Thank God he didn't touch it!

This my friends is an asp (aka puss caterpillar). This one is black but they are not all black. Google puss caterpillars so you can educate you little ones! This concludes my public service announcement! :-)


No comments:
Post a Comment